A life of love

A life of love
Everyone should have a Great Pyrenees

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Radical Challenge!

I have spent the last month really digesting David Platt's *Radical - Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream*.  This is one that takes some real digesting, because it really calls us to take and honest look at our faith and what we are truly called to.

I really appreciate the practical manner in which he approaches living out our faith, and the examples he gives throughout.  We all want to live out our faith, but it is very easy to lose sight of the goal, very easy to get caught up or distracted by daily life and what our culture calls to value.

I found that my views were challenged, and while I thought I was living out my faith, *Radical* really opened my eyes to how I can do so more, in very practical ways.  I found the book a very good read, understandable language, arranged in a manner that really encouraged me to keep reading and thinking and praying.  This is a book that is well written, and challenges us to be more than we might have conceived of, and exactly why.  I highly recommend this book to someone wanting to live out their faith in a practical way, to truly walk the walk we are called to by Christ.  I will warn you, it will challenge you, get you really thinking and examining our roles in the world, our ways we can contribute.  It will not leave you unchanged if you thoughtfully read it. 

I am going to look up more books by Davit Platt after reading this!  And be re-reading *Radical*!

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Best book I've ever read-has changed my life. We're also adopting with IAG-a 9 year old girl and it was definitely a "radical" decision for us having just been home 9 months with our two new Ethiopian daughters. I saw your girls on the WC list-so glad they have a family!

Jessica
http://steadfastminds-ethiopia.blogspot.com

Christy O said...

Jessica!
That is so wonderful! Yep, we also appear to be pretty radical - we adopted from Ethiopia - two boys - 3 and a half years ago, then one and a half years ago, one and a half years ago. It has been the greatest experience of our lives, the greatest blessing. Though not without its challenges! If you come across any other pictures of our girls, please let me know. I am so anxious for new ones! Hoping to be able to get that dossier over there soon!!!!
Keep me posted on your progress!
Christy